The 17-year-old boy who is charged with the rape, buggery and murder of a nine-year-old girl in Westmoreland in 2018 has been found guilty.
The verdict was reached by a six-member jury in the Westmoreland Circuit Court this afternoon (July 1).
The teen is to be sentenced on July 28 by High Court Judge, Justice Courtney Daye.
It was alleged that on June 5, 2018, the nine-year-old girl was sexually assaulted and killed by the accused, who was 13 years at the time.
Reports are that the girl who lived in close proximity to the boy had accepted his invitation to pick apples, as they walked home from school.
A pathologist testified last week that the girl died of asphyxia caused by manual strangulation and that she had lacerations of the vagina and anus.
On Wednesday, a DNA analyst provided forensic evidence that material found in the anus of the schoolgirl, matched the DNA of the accused.
Defence lawyers had argued that the teen is innocent and that the police did not properly investigate the case.
The teen, in an un-sworn statement, admitted that he had vaginal intercourse with the girl, and denied anal intercourse.
The boy said he was forced to have sex with the girl, after he was held up by two men, one armed with a machete, and the other with a gun.
The accused said he knew one of the men.