Mayor condemns latest attacks on Kingston’s homeless, suspect in custody

by May 3rd, 2021

One suspect is in custody in connection with another attack on homeless persons in Kingston.

Reports are that three of them were beaten yesterday (May 2), while they slept.

Kingston’s Mayor Delroy Williams has condemned the brutal beatings.

Mr. Williams says the police have a suspect in custody, in this latest incident and the local authorities are working with the police, residents and other stakeholders as the investigation progresses.

In a statement today, Mayor Williams says he cannot but reiterate that it speaks to the awful state of affairs within the conscience of men, or perhaps it is a deranged serial attacker, but its already a difficult task in managing to care for those who have, met up on hard times and found themselves vulnerable and homeless.

He adds that keen attention will be paid to the areas where homeless persons converge as this follows from the brutal murders of four homeless persons earlier this year.

The Kingston Mayor says avenues are being explored to ensure utmost safety and care of the homeless whom he encourages to use the state-run facilities for their protection.

Mr. Williams states that the corporation’s poor relief officers and other workers will be redoubling efforts in appealing to these homeless persons to stay in the approved shelters -especially at night.