Rafa Nadal has pulled out of the Shanghai Masters

by October 4th, 2019

Rafa Nadal has pulled out of the Shanghai Masters due to a wrist injury that cut short his participation in last month’s Laver Cup, the world number two said on Friday.

The 33-year-old, who claimed his 19th Grand Slam title at this year’s U.S. Open, said that he had not had enough time to practice sufficiently due to inflammation in his left wrist.

 

Two-times finalist Nadal’s withdrawal denies fans the chance to witness the reunion of the Big Four of men’s tennis at the October 6-13 tournament, with Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray all scheduled to feature.

It also hands Djokovic the advantage in the battle to seal the year-end number one ranking.