West Indies and global batting star Chris Gayle is planning is taking a “break” from cricket for the rest of 2019.
Gayle will miss the ODI’S against India in December after the selectors checked on his availability for the three-match series.
Gayle will instead utilize the time to recharge and “reflect on what he really wants in 2020.
On Sunday, on his way out of the Manzi Super League in South Africa where he was playing for defending champions Jozi Stars.
Gayle made it evident that he was hurt by the constant scrutiny not just from the media but also from franchise, owners, team managements, coaches and players. But he is not giving up, Gayle made it clear that he wanted to sort things out and return in 2020 with a clear mind.
That is what he told the West Indies selection panel which is headed by former all-rounder Roger Harper.
Gayle said he would not be playing the big bash, too, this season and was surprised that his name had been listed in one of the teams in the Bangladesh premier league.
It could not be confirmed whether Gayle is part of the T20 world cup plans where West Indies are the defending champions. But both Harper’s panel and the team management comprising head coach Phil Simmons and Kieron Pollard, the ODI and T20 captain have stressed that the door is open to all players including the seniors like Gayle.